Being a new mom can be exciting, overwhelming, and exhausting. Everything is new, your body can ache, and you have a massive responsibility of caring for a small human. I can easily say that being a first-time mom was the most vulnerable and emotionally unstable time of my life.
Sometimes the woman who crossed through a new passage of life to become "mom" can get lost in the shuffle. Below are 11 simple, but nourishing gifts I like to gift new moms (and enjoyed as a new mom myself). Even one item can boost a mom's spirits and healing. These are great things to consider gifting at baby showers also.
11 Nourishing Gifts
- Earth Mama Angel Baby Postpartum Herbs — These nourishing herb satchels are wonderful for helping to heal skin and provide a relaxing experience. My favorite part is that you can use them in a bath, and then line a maxi pad with the satchel for a second use to keep the herb blend close to the skin. Buy it here.
- The First Forty Days: The Essential Art of Nourishing the New Mother by Heng Ou — I'm obsessed with this book. Those of you who know me are probably so sick of hearing me talk about this. This was the most nourishing book I read while I was pregnant — and was perfect for the 3rd trimester. It's a gentle invitation to slow down after the baby is birthed, and has nutrient-dense, but easily digestible food. It also discusses how other cultures honor the first forty days of postpartum. Buy it here.
- Earth Mama Angel Baby Mama Bottom Balm — This stuff is AMAZING. I couldn't believe how wonderful the cooling balm helped the pain of 4 tears, and numerous stitches. It's a wonderful blend of Olive Oil, St. Johns Wort, Calendula, Witch Hazel, Yarrow, Candeililla, Shea Butter, Essential Oils, and Rosemary Extract. Buy it here.
- Mother Bees Food/ Gift Card —This is a wonderful organization that supports new moms through nutrition. You can purchase gift cards or meal kits. I haven't personally tried it yet, but I look forward to it! Buy it here.
- Massage Gift Certificate — A massage can often be viewed as a luxury, but it truly is a wonderful form of self-care. It can help move out extra fluids, relax muscles, remove toxins, and realign the body after pregnancy and birth. I also enjoyed having abdominal massages after having my daughter. They helped move organs back to their correct place and aide in digestion. Read more about Maya Abdominal Massage.
- Bitesquad Gift Certificate — A coworker and my husband's boss gifted me with this post-baby. Having the option to order healthy, nourishing food to my home when my husband went back to work helped me heal, and was such a relief to know I would have food to eat during a sleepless, taxing period. Buy it here.
- Help Mom Set Up a Meal Tree through Mealbaby.com — I love this free website. I was able to input the type of foods and recipes I wanted to receive, and it allowed friends, family, and coworkers to sign up on different days to bring food. It helped everyone know when food was being delivered, and prevented getting too much food at once, so nothing went to waste. Check it out here.
- Facial Gift Certificate to Mom's Favorite Salon — Similar to a massage, a facial can be very healing. Having time alone, and someone pampering your face is such a treat.
- Haircut Gift Certificate to Mom's Favorite Salon — The first time I got a haircut after having my baby I couldn't believe how much more human I felt. Postpartum can be a really taxing time physically, emotionally and mentally. With finances being stretched after birth and baby expenses, a haircut can be the first thing to get cut from the budget. To go along with this, it makes it more possible for mom to use this if they have some free babysitting.
- Witch Hazel — This is my favorite miracle healer. It not only smells good, but it can be used for numerous things — from a face astringent to healing skin post-birth. I used this after going to the bathroom, and put in bath soaks. Buy it here.
- Chiropractic Care — Going to regular chiropractic visits helped me so much during pregnancy, and it helped realign me post-birth as well. Read more about how chiropractic care helps mom and baby.